Having a good website is vital in today’s business environment but if you’re looking for a certain name for your website there’s a chance you may have to pay a lot of money for it.
360.com has reportedly just been sold by Vodafone to the Chinese security software and mobile services company Beijing Qihoo Technology company for $17 million.
The Chinese Technology company previously used 360.cn but they wanted the .com domain to drive their global strategy.
One website that was sold for an undisclosed sum of money is loser.com. Whilst it’s not clear how much was paid for the domain it’s fair to say that it would have been pretty expensive with some people estimating it to be up to $500,000.
But what was the return and what was the website used for?
If you go to loser.com it redirects through to the rapper Kanye West’s Wikipedia page.
Yes, whoever bought the loser.com domain obviously doesn’t like Kanye West but does have a lot of money!
If you’re interested in other expensive domain names, the top 15 most expensive web domains which have been sold are:
1. Insurance.com $35.6 million in 2010
2. VacationRentals.com $35 million in 2007
3. PrivateJet.com $30 million in 2012
4. Sex.com $24 million in 2014
5. Internet.com $18 million in 2009
6. 360.com $17 million in 2015
7. Insure.com $16 million in 2009
8. Hotels.com $11 million in 2001
9. Fund.com £9.99 million in 2008
10. Porn.com $9.5 million in 2007
11. Porno.com $8,888,888 in Feb 2015
12. Fb.com by Facebook for $8.5 million in 2010
13. Business.com $7.5 million in 1999
14. Diamond.com $7.5 million in 2006
15. Beer.com $7 million in 2004
Looking at the above list makes me think what a great idea it would have been if I’d thought of buying up a load of domain names back in the 90s when the internet was just getting going and domain names were very cheap.
The people that bought those sites and then sold them are no doubt doing very well and flying around in their (number 3 in the list above) whilst drinking lots of (number 15 from the list above) and possibly wearing lots of (number 14 from the list above).
https://www.theexpgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/styleguide-EXP-4.png00Steve Crossmanhttps://www.theexpgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/styleguide-EXP-4.pngSteve Crossman2015-03-08 10:08:532015-03-08 10:08:53Somebody is calling him a loser...
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.